Thursday, March 21, 2013

Foolish Career or Business Mistakes - and How to Avoid Them


In honor of the upcoming April Fool’s Day, I am asking clients, friends and associates like you to share a foolish career or business mistake that taught you something important, and how things are different now and how you would advise others.  It’s important that you feel good about it now or can laugh at it.  This is meant to share and teach; not be critical of yourself. 

I will share some of them on my April Fool’s Complimentary First Monday teleconference at 6:30 PDT, and hopefully, some of you will be on to share your story personally.  I will introduce you and ask what you do and how to reach you!  Good promo!  (But only if you’re OK with that.) 

One of the more foolish (and expensive) errors in judgment I made early on was spending a lot of money to conduct a workshop to which nobody came.  I had elaborate promotional brochures and materials, a deposit on a meeting room in a great hotel at the airport, and food and drinks ordered. I’m telling you it was really extraordinarily well organized!!!!  But no one registered.  I was devastated.

However, I learned to the value of pre-testing my market! I just had the wrong slant on my subject and my audience didn’t relate to it – something I could have easily fixed with a few targeted conversations, a focus group or one round of www.surveymonkey.com 

I see a lot of this with product launches – time and money spent on a information product our clients don’t really want.  It is not what they NEED that makes them buy – it is what they WANT.   Take the time to know and monitor your client's  real concerns and what excites them. When you are clear about that sweet spot, it’s money in the bank!  That's what I learned. 

Now, it’s your turn.  Let me hear from YOU.  I can’t be the only one……….
 

(P.S.  Register for the free call at http://bit.ly/YIV26M 

 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea for next Monday Call! I've learned so much from all my business mistakes. As the quote by John Wooden says: "If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet there are so many great stories just waiting to be shared... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leaving a comment is super easy! Just 3 simple steps: Click on “no comments” (which really doesn’t make sense, I know!). Write your comment into the comment box, click on “publish” and create a Google+ profile or a limited Blogger profile. Really simple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT FIRST MONDAY TELECONFERENCE! Thanks for sharing some eye-opening information about the 4 basic business/career mistake categories – and what you can do to avoid a lot of heartache and frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that this is an excellent article. It was interesting to read and the content is full of information.It has a useful tips to avoid heartache and frustration when you face a business or a carrier mistakes. It was awesome. thanks for sharing .

    boracay travel
    boracay tours

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you think!