Tuesday, September 3, 2013

DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME? CHANGE WHAT YOU SAY... by Mary Lyn Miller



Have you ever heard this?


“I’d _______________(fill in the blank:  exercise more – (or exercise at all) – spend time with my family – take a class – pursue a passion – take a short vacation – join a club,) but  I don’t have the time!”   Aw, c'mon, have you ever said words like this?

These words imply that is that there is some invisible time bandit stealing time behind your back and you didn’t get your fair allotment of time today and there’s just nothing, absolutely nothing, you can do about it. 

I know it sounds funny, and I still struggle with time management from time to time, but I have learned that when you say the phrase, “I don’t have the time,” you are really saying:  “I am not taking the time.”

For instance, have you ever said anything like this? 
 “I’d like to spend more time with my friend, John, but I just don’t have the time.”  No, you do have the time; you’re not taking the time.  If you don’t make plans to be away from work to see John, if you don’t set up a date with him,  if you don't spend tine with him, you are choosing to do something else.


I can hear you explaining to me how your industry needs you to be super-dedicated; how it's the "accepted culture" of your workplace; how being an entrepreneur requires you to work more than normal people. There are always a million reasons not to live the life you were meant to live.


“Lack of time” doesn’t just happen to you.   You and I and Oprah and Donald Trump and Bill Gates all have the exact same 24 hours every day.  Even Barack Obama doesn’t get extra hours for being a president. Time is the great equalizer; we all get exactly the same number of hours.  But don't you ever wonder why some of these people seem to be doing so much more, achieving so much, yet having richer more balanced lives, and making way more money?


You are responsible for what you do with every minute of your time. 


The truth is that the more balanced you are, the more multi-dimensional your are, you will be far more efficient at work, the work you do will be higher quality, you will be much less exhausted, and your business and income will thrive.


It is up to you to TAKE the time for the important things outside of work, live a full life and allow yourself to be as successful as you can possibly be.


If you find yourself not having enough time to do the important things in life, remember how you manage your time and what you put into it is your responsibility.  This is the first step in starting to create a more passionate profitable business and life.

Want some more steps?  Watch for my next article.  
And let me know how this relates to YOUR life by commenting!




2 comments:

  1. HI Mary Lyn
    Great article! I look forward to your next one. If we can't have more than 24 hours a day then we need to ensure we are maximizing the time we have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope to see your Anonymous response to it!! :)

      Delete

Let's hear what you think!