Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Entrepreneurs: Still Doing It Last Year's Way?

I recently celebrated an anniversary with a friend and I asked if she wanted to go back to a place we had been to before. Surprisingly, she replied emphatically, "Oh, not at all. We've already been there. Let's go someplace that doesn't represent where we've been, but where we're going."

How often, I thought, have I chosen to go back to the same place because I am familiar with it? The process of choosing a new meeting place with my friend became a larger metaphor for life.
What represents the future to you? This is a very different question from “What worked before?” After all, in this new economy, almost nothing works like it did before. We are forced to give up a lot of old ideas and fill in with something very different and new. What is that for you?

A client came to me because her thriving business was connected to real estate and her income had plummeted. We had to step back and go beyond how it was before and create whole new strategy and vision for her business based on her talents and what people need NOW. She had to adjust, let go, and commit to a new path. It was unfamiliar, but turned out to be much more profitable. She got the clarity and support she needed to create an entirely new approach to her life and work. I believe that is what makes the difference.

We cannot do it like we did before on a myriad of levels. What went before is over. It’s not going to “go back.” There isn’t going to be a “do-over.” The real issue is “What are you going to do NOW!” Your clients, bosses and colleagues have new needs; how are you going to use your passion and talents to meet these needs? Therein lay the seed to your success. These are the questions we all need to ask ourselves at various junctures in our life, no matter what the economy.

One of the old ideas is that you can do it on your own. That rugged individualistic ethic came over with the pilgrims who, by the way, did nothing alone. They were entirely a community based society. Community works because you need ideas that are not yours! I know my mind automatically takes me back to "where I've already been." It's trained to do that. Without new input, I only know how to do old things. (That’s one of the many reasons why our Mastermind community (www.firedupforsuccess.com/mastermind.htm) work so well.) Community gives you resources and feedback you would never have on your own.

The formula is this: Your talent and passion + meeting real (or perceived) needs + a strong support system for regular feedback and resources = success. If you want to experience something more promising, more profitable and new, you have to DO something new.

When I thought about what my friend had said, I did some soul searching and then asked for feedback. It made me realize I want to go in the direction of more laughter, fun and freedom, along with some risk and adventure…and maybe some just plain childhood fantasy.
So where did I go with my friend? Disneyland!

What are you doing to let go of the old way of doing things which may actually be hurting you, your career and your business and re-engineer yourself to meet today’s needs? If you want a fresh strategy, read more at www.firedupforsuccess.com/coaching.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear what you think!